Thursday, May 21, 2009

instead of going to hershey park

i know the art show happened a little while ago, but here is a pretty good picture of the statuette i made as my self-portrait. since it's a little far away, the details have been compromised a little bit, but i'll do my best to get some closer pictures (that are truer to color as well). and yes, i did use gemtac to apply false eyelashes...haha. i am really upset though because someone brought it to my attention that in the movie coraline, she also wears a yellow jacket. i was really upset because i was afraid that it would take away from the originality of my piece. i hope that didn't happen.

i've been working on a few more pieces and have just been in a completely different place artistically than i have been in the past. i'm experimenting with a new idea--illustrating poetry. i got this anthology of spanish-american poets from the library and have been working from that a lot. i started a series (approximately 6"x5" i think) that interpret poems from the book. in them, i use some expressionist and non-representational techniques that i think are really interesting. they really take me away from my usual consumption with rendering. aside from that, i don't know why...but i've been tracing back to my roots in fashion which i'm kind of confused about. nonetheless, a lot of my sketch pages have been fashion/lifestyle related. weird, right?

i also really like this photographer's flickr...it's really inspiring to me. here's the link:
here's another illustrator i reallllllllllllllllllllllly love: (i am lucky enough to have one of the t-shirts he designed for heatherette!)

No comments:

Post a Comment